Work with us
As an independent, family owned company Hook Norton Brewery is always looking for motivated individuals who are keen to work hard within a small but committed team of people who are passionate about what they do and what they produce.
Positions at the Brewery range from Sales executives and administrative support to brewer’s assistants, drivers and shop assistants. Our Current Vacancies summary provides details of jobs we are looking to recruit at present.
In addition we work closely with our self-employed tenants and their teams and we consider them part of the brewery family.
If you are interested in becoming a tenant, all the background information you will need can be found on this website including a list of available tenancies.
Hook Norton is an equal opportunities employer.
JOB TITLE: Financial Controller
James Clarke, Managing Director and part of the Senior Management Team
Main Purpose of the Job:
Responsible for all aspects of financial management, financial systems, controls and statutory compliances.
- Day to day supervision and development of the small finance team.
- Preparation and maintenance of the annual budget model (excel based) phased by month and containing detailed analysis of sales values/volumes, production costs and departmental overheads. Periodic update of the 5 year plan model in similar format.
- Preparation of detailed monthly management accounts from the Chorus general ledger to a tight deadline for distribution to the board prior to each monthly board meeting. Comparisons to budget and prior year with explanation of variances.
- Control and production of monthly sales volume, value and margin reports using eXporter.
- Production of a rolling forecast model (excel) updated monthly after incorporation of the latest actual accounts. The model to include balance sheet and cash flow.
- Production of the annual accounts for presentation to the auditors within 5 weeks of the financial year end together with all required analyses, explanations and supporting documentation for audit and tax purposes.
- Running of weekly and monthly payrolls and online submission of tax year end HMRC returns.
- Maintenance of all monthly financial controls and checklist including all general ledger controls and fixed asset registers.
- Ensuring that all systems comply with good accounting practice, that they are legally compliant and all statutory returns are submitted in a timely manner including HMRC payroll returns, VAT returns, beer duty returns and ONS survey returns.
- Maintain and regularly update manufacturing costs for each size and brand of beer and ensure that all Chorus product records are updated accordingly.
- Maintain and update selling prices for all own beer and bought in products for both duty changes and selling price reviews and ensure that the Chorus product records are updated accordingly.
- Control of working capital including ensuring that trade debtors are maintained within agreed terms to minimise bad debts.
- Responsible for office administration, including telephones, office equipment, internal printing requirements, maintenance of IT systems and contract hire of vehicles.
- Ensuring cash and bank balances are controlled and maintaining relationships with the company’s bankers.
- Any ad hoc duties and tasks as required by the Managing Director.
Qualifications and Experience:
Must hold a relevant accounting qualification such as CA, ACA, ACCA or CIMA, with several years’ post-qualification experience in a commercial environment preferably manufacturing. Capable of working with, and controlling a small team. Experience of using an integrated accounting package including financials, sales order processing and inventory is essential as is an advanced working knowledge of Exel. Must be prepared to become involved in day to day activities ranging from payroll, rental invoicing, financial controls, credit control, trial balance and management accounts preparation, costing, budgets and long term planning and the maturity and confidence to be a strong member of the senior management team.
You must be physically fit, self-motivated and a good communicator, both verbally and written. It is most important that you enjoy practical work and that you are prepared to do a job that is physically demanding. As a Brewery Operative you may be involved in all aspects of work within our brewery, hands on brewing, racking beer, cleaning casks and vessels as well as delivering to customers.
You will receive full training in the brewery processes and would eventually be expected to work without supervision, it will be critical that you have a flexible and ‘can do’ attitude and that are able to adapt to changes within the business. To satisfy the production demands you will need to be prepared to work outside normal standard hours when required.
The ability to work alone and as a team player are necessary attributes in our small production team.
A full clean driving license is required. Salary dependent on experience.
If you are interested please send a current CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org